A sweet, naïve young woman trying to make it on her own in New York City, Frances (Chloë Grace Moretz) doesn’t think twice about returning the handbag she finds on the subway to its rightful owner. That owner is Greta (Isabelle Huppert), an eccentric French piano teacher with a love for classical music and an aching loneliness. Having recently lost her mother, Frances quickly grows closer to widowed Greta. The two become fast friends — but Greta’s maternal charms begin to dissolve and grow increasingly disturbing as Frances discovers that nothing in Greta’s life is what it seems.
Genres: Drama | Horror | Mystery
Country: Ireland | USA
Release Date: 1 March 2019 (USA)
Filming Locations: Dublin, Ireland
- Isabelle Huppert as Greta Hideg, an obsessive piano teacher and former nurse.
- Chloë Grace Moretz as Frances McCullen, a young waitress.
- Maika Monroe as Erica Penn, the friend and roommate of Frances.
- Colm Feore as Chris McCullen, the workaholic father of Frances.
- Stephen Rea as Brian Cody, an Irish private investigator.
- Zawe Ashton as Alexa Hammond
- Graeme Thomas King as Brian
- Parker Sawyers as Gary
- Jeff Hiller as Henri
In the United States and Canada, Greta was released alongside A Madea Family Funeral, and was projected to gross around $6 million from 2,000 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $1.6 million on its first day, including $350,000 from Thursday night previews. It went on to debut to $4.6 million, finishing eighth at the box office.
Last score update: 3/14/19