Hellboy (David Harbour) comes to England, where he discovers The Blood Queen, Nimue (Milla Jovovich), a resurrected ancient sorceress thirsting to avenge a past betrayal. Suddenly caught in a clash between the supernatural and the human, Hellboy is now hell-bent on stopping Nimue without triggering the end of the world.
Genres: Action | Adventure | Fantasy | Horror | Sci-Fi
Release Date: 12 April 2019 (USA)
Filming Locations: Wells Cathedral, Wells, Somerset, England, UK
- David Harbour as Hellboy / Anung Un Rama:
An immensely powerful Cambion who works for the government organization Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.). Harbour had stated that the film will be a “character piece” and feature mature themes and “complicated subjects” that will warrant the film’s R-rating, stating, “It really is this study of this man going through this horrible conundrum and we really get to go in deep with him”. Mignola had stated that Harbour had been researching the character, stating, “He’s texting me Hellboy questions about his history, about what the character would think about this or about that”. Mignola described Harbour’s Hellboy as being more dramatic, gritty, and emotionally explosive than Perlman’s. Harbour refrained from imitating Perlman’s Hellboy by depicting his own version similar to a “teenager”, describing him as “younger” and “rougher”, stating, “He’s really struggling with the idea of whether or not he’s a good person”.
- Milla Jovovich as Nimue, the Blood Queen:
A powerful and ancient medieval British sorceress who seeks to destroy mankind. Harbour had stated that Hellboy has a “very special relationship” with Nimue and that the film expands her role from the comics. Jovovich described the character as being “literally the queen of the underworld”, serving as the mother of the monsters and described Nimue’s plan as “beautiful” and “relevant” to today’s political climate in trying to bring people together.
- Ian McShane as Trevor Bruttenholm:
Hellboy’s adoptive father and the founder of the B.P.R.D. Harbour confirmed that their version of Bruttenholm is a much harder character who doesn’t sympathize with Hellboy questioning his place in the world.
- Sasha Lane as Alice Monaghan:
A woman of Irish descent who retained some magical abilities after she was kidnapped by fairies as a baby. Harbour stated that the character “gets to play with some really interesting ideas of, sort of, being a witch and having visions.”
- Daniel Dae Kim as Ben Daimio:
A rugged Japanese-American military member of the B.P.R.D. who, due to a supernatural encounter, can turn into a jaguar when angered or in pain. Ed Skrein was originally cast in the role but upon discovering that Daimio was portrayed in the comics as Japanese-American, he withdrew to allow an Asian actor to be cast instead. A month later, Kim was cast in the role.
- Thomas Haden Church as Lobster Johnson: A vigilante who has a reputation for violence, such as killing mobsters and burning his trademark lobster claw symbol into their foreheads with the palm of his gloved hand.
- Penelope Mitchell as Ganeida: An elder witch who has decided that Nimue’s wrath has gone on for too long and must be stopped.
- Sophie Okonedo as Lady Hatton: A resident seer at the Osiris Club, an ancient English club dedicated to uncovering supernatural mysteries.
- Brian Gleeson as Merlin: An ancient and powerful sorcerer based on the figure of Arthurian legend.
- Alistair Petrie as Lord Adam Glaren: A high-ranking member of the Osiris Club.
- Laila Morse as a BPRD employee
- Stephen Graham and Douglas Tait as Gruagach:
A hog-like fairy that is loyal to Nimue. Graham provides the voice for Gruagach while Tait provides the physical performance.
Last score update: 4/9/19