One year after the events of the previous film, Hiccup, Toothless and their fellow dragon-riders continue to rescue captured dragons in order to bring them to Berk and its bustling dragon and human utopia. Their efforts have resulted in the island becoming overpopulated with dragons. In a response to the overcrowding, Hiccup desires to find the “Hidden World”, a safe haven for dragons spoken of by his late father Stoick. Meanwhile, a white female Fury, held captive by warlords, is given to infamous dragon hunter Grimmel the Grisly as bait for him to capture Toothless for the warlords’ use as an alpha.
Toothless discovers the white Fury (dubbed a “Light Fury” by Astrid) in the woods and the two become enchanted with each other until the Light Fury, sensing Hiccup’s nearby presence, becomes frightened and flees. Hiccup and Tuffnut later discover Grimmel’s dragon traps in the area which were intended to trap Toothless. Grimmel visits Hiccup that night, revealing he has hunted down all the other Night Furies, but Hiccup has prepared an ambush to capture him; Grimmel escapes, burning down Hiccup’s house and part of Berk in the process. In response, Hiccup rallies the citizens and dragons to leave Berk on a quest to find the Hidden World and safety from dragon hunters.
Mid-journey, the Berkians discover an island on which they initially plan to rest for a short while, but they soon begin to settle there, even if only temporarily. Seeing Toothless’s inability to fly solo hindering his growing relationship with the Light Fury, Hiccup rebuilds an automatic tail for him. Upon receiving the tail, Toothless flies off, meeting the Light Fury on his own and flying with her to an unknown land. Valka, on a scouting patrol, notices Grimmel’s approaching army and quickly reports back to Hiccup. Hiccup and the dragon riders head to capture Grimmel; yet, they fall into his trap and barely escape. Ruffnut is captured, but irritates Grimmel until he lets her go and secretly follows her to the Berkians’ new location.
Hiccup and Astrid, who are searching for Toothless, find the Hidden World and see Toothless and the Light Fury leading the dragons there with Toothless now betrothed to her. When the two are soon discovered, Toothless rescues Hiccup and Astrid and returns them to the Berkians, with Hiccup realizing his people would be intruders and unsafe in the Hidden World. Suddenly, Grimmel appears and captures Toothless and the Light Fury (who followed Toothless). Toothless’s alpha status allows Grimmel to capture the rest of Berk’s dragons by threatening to kill the Light Fury if any dragon or Berkian attacks.
With Astrid’s encouragement, Hiccup sets out with the dragon riders to stop Grimmel and his army. Gliding on wing suits, they catch Grimmel’s army off-guard, igniting a battle. Hiccup frees Toothless while Grimmel drugs the Light Fury into obeying him. Hiccup and Toothless give chase, but Grimmel tranquilizes Toothless in midair, causing the dragon to fall helplessly towards the ocean. Hiccup, realizing he cannot rescue Toothless alone, frees the Light Fury and implores her to save Toothless. He then lets go, causing him and Grimmel to fall towards the water as well. The Light Fury, however, unexpectedly returns to save Hiccup while Grimmel impacts the water and dies.
Back on the island, Hiccup realizes that dragons will never be safe in the human world. Hiccup bids a tearful farewell to Toothless and all of the Berkians set their dragons free to live in the Hidden World. Toothless and the Light Fury lead the rest of the dragons away to their new home. Three months later, Hiccup and Astrid marry on the island on which the Berkians have settled.
Ten years later, Toothless and the Light Fury are shown to have given birth to three hybrid dragon fledglings known as Night Lights. Hiccup, Astrid, and their two children sail across the sea and reunite with the dragons at the edge of the Hidden World. After introducing his two children, Hiccup takes their son flying on Toothless while Astrid and their daughter fly on Stormfly, accompanied by the Light Fury and their offspring. Hiccup vows that until humankind can co-exist peacefully with each other, the dragons will wait until the time comes when they will return in peace.
Genres: Animation | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Family | Fantasy
Release Date: 22 February 2019 (USA)
- Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, the son of Stoick the Vast and Valka, the newly crowned Viking chief of Berk, and the one who initially trained the dragons.
- A.J. Kane voices a younger Hiccup.
- America Ferrera as Astrid, an excellent fighter; she is Hiccup’s betrothed fiancée, and later wife.
- Cate Blanchett as Valka, a dragon rescuer and Hiccup’s mother, now living on Berk after twenty years of isolation.
- Craig Ferguson as Gobber the Belch, a seasoned warrior, blacksmith and dragon dentist.
- F. Murray Abraham as Grimmel the Grisly, an infamous dragon hunter who is responsible for the near-extinction of the Night Furies.
- Jonah Hill as Snotlout Jorgenson, brash, overconfident, and fairly unintelligent, but a reliable friend of Hiccup.
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fishlegs Ingerman, an enthusiastic friend of Hiccup knowledgeable in dragon lore which he often relates in a role-playing game style.
- Kristen Wiig and Justin Rupple as Ruffnut and Tuffnut Thorston, fraternal twins who are friends with Hiccup. Tuffnut was previously voiced by T.J. Miller in the last two movies.
- Kit Harington as Eret, a former dragon hunter who used to work for Drago Bludvist who has joined the dragon riders after the events of the second film.
- Gerard Butler as Stoick the Vast, the late father of Hiccup and Berk’s previous chieftain, as seen in flashbacks.
- Julia Emelin as Griselda the Grievous, an aggressive warlord who works with Grimmel.
- Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as Ragnar the Rock, an incompetent warlord who works with Grimmel.
- James Sie as Chaghatai Khan, a less aggressive and stubborn warlord who works with Grimmel.
- David Tennant as Ivar the Whitless, a dragon trapper who works for the Warlords.
- Tennant also voices Spitelout Jorgenson, the father of Snotlout.
- Robin Atkin Downes as Ack, a blond-bearded viking.
- Kieran Elliot as Hoark, a viking with a knotted beard.
- Ashley Jensen as Phlema, a female viking who works as a botanist at the School of Dragons.
- Gideon Emery as Trapper
Last Score update: 3/14/19