We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Asher Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Zachary Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Mark Strong).
Genres: Action | Adventure | Comedy | Fantasy
Release Date: 5 April 2019 (USA)
Filming Locations: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Asher Angel and Zachary Levi as William “Billy” Batson / Shazam:
A troubled orphan boy who is chosen as the “Champion of Eternity” and given powers by an ancient wizard, and transforms into an adult with superpowers when he speaks the sorcerer’s name. Batson is chosen as the new Champion, eons after the Council of Eternity selected another hero, who eventually killed all of the Council except for Shazam. The powers given from the ancient wizard to Batson include gifts bestowed upon the sorcerer from various others. These powers include: the wisdom of Solomon, granting increased intellect; the superhuman strength of Hercules, the superhuman stamina of Atlas; powers from Zeus, including the ability to summon lightning; the increased courage of Achilles, as well as being nearly indestructible; and the superhuman speed of Mercury, which provides him with the means of flight. David Kohlsmith plays a four-year-old William “Billy” Batson.
- Mark Strong as Dr. Thaddeus Sivana:
A physicist who had grown up as an outcast in his wealthy family. Sivana had himself been summoned by the Wizard Shazam as a child, but was not chosen as his champion, leading Sivana to spend his life trying to unlock the secret to return to the Rock of Eternity. Ethan Pugiotto portrays a young Sivana.
- Jack Dylan Grazer and Adam Brody as Frederick “Freddy” Freeman: Billy’s foster brother and best friend, a disabled, nerdy superhero enthusiast who is the only person that knows that he is Shazam.
- Djimon Hounsou as Shazam:
An ancient wizard seeking a successor, who bestows his powers on Billy Batson so that he can magically transform into an adult superhero. Hounsou previously portrayed Ricou, the King of the Fishermen, in Aquaman.
- Grace Fulton and Michelle Borth as Mary Bromfield: Billy’s foster sister at his new home, the “den mother” who helps take care of the other kids and is debating attending college in California.
- Ian Chen and Ross Butler as Eugene Choi: Billy’s foster brother at his new home, a obsessive gaming enthusiast and budding techie.
- Jovan Armand and D. J. Cotrona as Pedro Peña: Billy’s foster brother at his new home, a shy, sensitive kid who has trouble opening up.
- Faithe Herman and Meagan Good as Darla Dudley: Billy’s youngest foster sibling at his new home, an energetic and effusive little girl.
- Cooper Andrews as Victor Vasquez: The foster father of the group home where Billy and his friends live
- Marta Milans as Rosa Vasquez: The foster mother of the group home where Billy and his friends live
Last score update: 4/5/19